Home     About     DIY     Recipes     InStitches    Contact

1.5.12

Recipe: INCREDIBLE Zucchini & Chorizo Soup

Zucchini and Chorizo Soup

This soup blew my mind. This past weekend one of the ladies made this for dinner for our girls' weekend. Guys... I'm generally not a soup kinda gal. This soup rules. And it's GORGEOUS! C'mon! It packs a punch with spicy spanish chorizo. This isn't sissy, watery soup. This is smooth and filling. And really really flavorful.

Zucchini and Chorizo Soup

The cast of characters:
Spicy chorizo sausage, a large brown onion, garlic, ground cumin, zucchini, frozen peas, chicken stock, and grated cheese (optional, I didn't add any)

Zucchini and Chorizo Soup

Slice and chop your chorizo and fry the sausages in a little oil. Cook them for about 2-3 minutes.

Zucchini and Chorizo Soup

After cooking the sausages, let them drain on a paper towel to drain.

Zucchini and Chorizo Soup
Zucchini and Chorizo Soup
Zucchini and Chorizo Soup

Chop your onions, garlic, and zucchini. Don't worry about chopping your onions or garlic too fine since you will be processing the soup in a food processor later.

Sautee the onions in the pan for two minutes.

Zucchini and Chorizo Soup

Add in the garlic, cumin, and zucchini and cook for an additional 4 minutes. Cook until the zucchini is nearly tender, but not quite done.

Add the frozen peas and stir around. Frozen peas, guys! So easy!

Zucchini and Chorizo Soup
Zucchini and Chorizo Soup

Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes until the zucchini is tender.

Zucchini and Chorizo Soup

If you are using a food processor:
Let the soup cool a bit and process in small batches.

OR

If you are using a stick blender:
Blend away!

Gorgeous. Look at the color.

Zucchini and Chorizo Soup

Bring the soup back up to heat and stir in the sausage.

And serve.

Zucchini and Chorizo Soup


Zucchini & Chorizo Soup
  • 200gram chorizo sausage, finely chopped
  • 1 large brown onion, finely chopped.
  • 2 tsp garlic
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 700 gram zucchini, coarsely chopped
  • 500 gram packet frozen peas
  • 6 cups chicken stock
  • 100gram grated cheese (optional)

Fry sausage in little oil. Cook 2-3 minutes and then drain on paper towel.
Add onion to pan and stir for two minutes. Stir in garlic, cumin & zucchini. Cook & stir for further 4 minutes.
Stir in peas and stock. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Cool slightly.
Process soup in batches until smooth. Place in clean pan over low heat. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until hot. Season with salt & pepper according to taste. Stir through sausages and serve.


I served this soup to Audrey for lunch today with some artisan crusty whole wheat bread. That girl ate it all up and wanted more. Kid approved. And full of yummy veggie goodness.

Big thanks to Josella for the recipe! So yummy!

Edit(Comment from Josella):

Talia. I forgot to tell you, the soup is 100x better is you make it the day BEFORE you want to serve it. It goes even creamier when its left in the fridge and then reheated :-)

See? This is a win-win, guys.

xoxo
Talia Christine

24 comments:

  1. Thanks for this recipe. Sounds yummy. Ihave copied and printed it out. Well give it a go soon.

    Annette Baggerman Wollongong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way to go, Annette! Be sure to let me know how it goes :)

      Delete
  2. This does sound delicious! I've already added the ingredients to my shopping list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the same thing when I got the recipe! Went off to the grocery store that night. :)

      Delete
    2. Just had to pop back to let you know I cooked this for dinner last night and, oh my, such yumminess! Thanks for sharing! :)

      Delete
    3. YAY!! I'm really glad you gave it a try! It makes some pretty yummy leftovers too :)

      Delete
  3. yup. gonna try this too!
    i buy a big bag of chorizo's and keep them in my freezer - i add them to everything!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to follow suit. I'm kinda on a chorizo kick lately!

      Delete
  4. your photos make it look exactly as it taste's Talia :-) Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing the recipe, Josella! Audrey and Phil both really loved it! I took the rest of the soup to an Autumnal Harvest potluck last night and it went down a treat.

      Brilliant!

      Delete
  5. I'll be making this for sure!
    Thanks so much for sharing!! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at all that green!! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The green is my favorite part I think... It;s so beautiful. And I love knowing that it's filled with veggies. Good for you!

      Delete
  7. Talia. I forgot to tell you, the soup is 100x better is you make it the day BEFORE you want to serve it. It goes even creamier when its left in the fridge and then reheated :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds and looks delicious! I bought the ingredients at the supermarket lastnight and I'm about to dig in and make it for the girls' and my lunch (and then have the even better version tomorrow :) Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. To quote Rachel Ray: "That's what's for dinner tonight!" - looks and sounds delicious, and I think the chorizo will placate my carnivorous husband!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woohoo!! Let me know how the soup goes and if you made any changes to it :)

      Delete
    2. Two bowls each for my veggie-avoiding 2yo and meat-lovin' hubby...it's a winner! Love the contrast of sweetness from the zucchini and peas, with the spicy chorizo (although I think I preferred it sans chorizo).
      Thanks so much for sharing the recipe - I'll definitely be making it again (and again...and again...and again...)!

      Delete
  10. OMG this was delicious!! Thanks so much for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! So glad you liked it! It's a sure winner around here. :)

      Delete
  11. I have a big group coming over this sunday, so I think I will make it. Who knows, one of Phil's brothers might get a taste!?
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  12. this looks amazing and healthy! i can't wait to try it :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate your comments and I try to respond to as many as I can so don't forget to check back! xoxo